Vox Church is looking for a Staff Accountant to join our Finance Team. The Staff Accountant will work closely alongside the Controller and other finance department personnel to analyze financial information and support all budgeting processes, among other duties. The ideal candidate for this position is a quick learner, is self-motivated, can work collaboratively in a team, and has previous professional experience working successfully in an accounting role. The ideal candidate will also be highly proficient in Microsoft Excel. If you feel you are the right fit for our team, we look forward to hearing from you!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Become a subject matter expert for Vox's budgetary processes
- Own and maintain budget data, templates, and reporting
- Work closely with Campus Pastors and Department Heads to create and frequently analyze their budgets
- Support the Controller with ad hoc projects and management deliverables
- Analyze expense reports to ensure accuracy, completeness, and conformance to non-profit accounting standards
- Learn the Sage Intacct accounting system. Identify ways to leverage new system functionality and work with Controller to implement
- Assist in month-end close procedures: prepare/analyze journal entries, maintain supporting schedules (prepaids, fixed assets), etc.
- Work closely with the Controller to document and continuously improve financial processes and policies
- Maintain financial security by following, documenting, and improving internal controls
- Function as backup for accounting processes outside areas of direct responsibility. This may include:
- o Processing accounts payable and managing vendor data
- o Preparing monthly reconciliations for cash, AP, credit cards, and other accounts as needed, and monitoring daily cash activity
- o Processing payroll journal entries and reconciling payroll accounts
- o Preparing weekly reports for the Controller to review
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Minimum 2 years of accounting experience
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and proficient in other Microsoft products (experience with Microsoft Access a plus)
- Strong data entry and processing skills (emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail)
- The desire and ability to acquire new knowledge/skills, especially pertaining to financial systems and reporting tools
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced atmosphere with experience working under time constraints and meeting established deadlines
- Highly organized and able to transition easily between various tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to appropriately handle/maintain confidential information
- Utmost of integrity; honest and trustworthy
- Carry a pioneering spirit
- Carry a strong work-ethic; desire for excellence
- Coachable and flexible
- Have and exercise exceptional judgment and discretion
- Live and be advancing in the 7 Golden Habits (see below)
- Understand and embody the Vox Church Distinctives (see below)
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Applicant should be able to perform comfort lifting typical to an office environment.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
7 GOLDEN HABITS
- Daily Time with God – We ask that all of our staff are spending at least 1 hour with God daily, 6 days per week.
- Sharing your Faith – As a staff, we as individuals should regularly going out of our way to intentionally share Christ with non-believers.
- Following the Holy Spirit – As a practice, we believe that God is still doing the miraculous, and will seek Him to that end; believing for supernatural healing and hearing from the Holy Spirit for His leading in our lives.
- Sexual Purity – As a standard, we maintain a lifestyle that is free from sexual sin.
- Financial Stewardship – We are a generous people, and freely give to the local church as a priority. We do so based on a percentage of our income, as God leads us. We look to increase this giving progressively each year.
- Healthy Rhythms – We ask that, in keeping with a healthy lifestyle, all of our staff observe a weekly sabbath.
- Making Disciples – As a practice, we are constantly looking to reproduce ourselves in others.
- WE ARE MARRIED TO THE MESSAGE: we don’t teach things that we don’t embody. This means that leaders serve, that transparency is king, and that our private lives reflect the devotion we proclaim. Success is not size, revenue, or influence. Rather, success is closing the gap between the life I’m living and the unlived life within me.
- WE ARE CONTENDERS: we believe that God made his Church the agents of his grace on the earth. We pray for salvation, healing, and deliverance and expect a big God to respond to big prayers. The secret things belong to God, but the revealed things are for us to pray for His kingdom upon this earth.
- WE ARE PIONEERS: innovation, change and risk are the language of faith. A pioneer takes territory previously considered uninhabitable and realizes its full potential. We are a church that carries a pioneering spirit.
- WE ARE STUDENTS OF CULTURE: the trends of fashion, the movement of art, the innovation around us, and the sounds produced all speak the language of our unique era. It is our passion to leverage everything to glorify God and reach people with the good news of Christ.
- OUR RELATIONSHIPS BUILD MUSCLE: rather than squirming away from confrontation and difficult conversations we humbly embrace the moment, knowing that honesty, relational investment, and process result in deep trust and sustainable health. We deal with conflict quickly and kill gossip before it breeds.
- WE THRIVE IN CULTURAL CENTERS: we go where people gather. We focus on cities because they bring us face to face with more people and more activity. As the world moves into the city, we strategically focus where the impact can be greatest.
- WE ENJOY THE RIDE: we won’t take for granted what God is doing in our church. Our leaders are committed to creating life rhythms that sustain us for a lifetime embracing Sabbath, celebration, and rest. We believe in a God of abundance and we develop life patterns built on grace.
Vox Church is one church in 9 locations across the North East. Planted in 2011, our mission is to see New England go from the least churched region in the United States to the most spiritually vibrant place on earth.
Company Website: www.voxchurch.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)